Has it ever happened that a faint smell suddenly appeared in the closet, as if several families were living in an apartment, and a mold that infects clothes?
Why does a musty smell appear in the closet
Before you start cleaning, find out the cause of the problem.
These microorganisms are invisible to the naked eye, but cause many problems. The stale smell is a consequence of their appearance. As they settle in your closet, sort out and process all clothes to prevent them from spreading. Do this as follows (the method is not the fastest, but effective.):
- Treat your clothes with hot steam.
- Wipe each item with a 20% salt solution.
To the unpleasant odor no longer occur, follow the basic rules of storage. These can be found later in this article.
Frequent problems - high humidity. No matter how aired the room, it does not go anywhere. Therefore, proceed as follows:
- Purchase a dryer, heater or hair dryer. Dry your clothes before placing them on the shelves.
- Arrange activated carbon in shelves. Change it once a month. This will prevent mold and unpleasant smell.
- In a store, buy a smell absorber and use it instead of coal.
If the cabinet is strongly impregnated with smell and the reason is your inaccuracy, then it is advisable to follow these tips.
Cabinet cleaning steps
- Prepare for cleaning: buy surface cleaners and laundry. If the case is running, get rubber gloves and a respirator that will protect you when using household chemicals.
- Pull things out of the closet and set aside - they will have to be washed. Open the doors and wipe all surfaces with a damp cloth. Open windows, doors, a balcony, if it is, - the room and furniture should be filled with fresh air.
- Start washing. If there are hopelessly damaged, torn or unnecessary things, throw them away. Wash the rest by hand or in a washing machine. Is the smell on things preserved? Soak them with a fabric conditioner for half an hour. Then wash again. That should be enough.
- Dry the clothes thoroughly, iron it. Put the pieces of toilet soap on the shelves between the rows of clothes so that the closet smells nicely. And now you can put everything in its rightful place.
- Use aromatic substances: coffee, tea bags, cinnamon, cotton bags with herbs or something else to your taste. They perfectly neutralize the odor and prevent the appearance of others.
Folk remedies against the smell of mustiness and mold
It happens mold and musty smell soaked too deeply, and the furniture does not want to throw out or not possible. Go to the extreme measures. Wash clothes do not need to be returned to the shelves. Find her a temporary shelter and go to the fight against mold on the furniture.
- Table vinegar is used to eliminate mold. Dissolve one part into three parts of water. Apply this mixture to the places where mold appeared.
- Boric acid. The effect is the same as with vinegar. Dilute in the same proportions.
- Hydrogen peroxide is also suitable for neutralizing mold. Use as before.
Best Purchased Chemistry - Review and Instructions for Use
If folk methods did not help and the mold returned again, then go to heavy artillery - chlorine-containing means "Belize", which is used to clean furniture, plumbing equipment, walls and other surfaces.
Take out the laundry again and stretch it. The smell is absorbed very quickly, so do not even hope that you managed to escape from the aroma, simply by neutralizing the mold. Treat fungus-infected places with "Belize". Wait a while and wipe everything with a rag, and, if necessary, repeat the procedure again. The tool is very odorous, requires careful handling, discolor the fabric. Use only in diluted form and work in protective equipment.
"Whiteness" is enough to eliminate mold. But if the tool did not help you or it is not in the store, purchase another one. Just check that it does not corrode the wood.
Folk and purchased fragrances for the wardrobe
After eliminating the smell, prepare for preventive measures: buy fragrances or fragrances, however, you can make them yourself from improvised means:
- The simplest odor absorbers are charcoal, salt, soda, silica gel, which are enough to put in a container and arranged in shelves. Change once a month.
- The soap has a pleasant smell that will spread inside the cabinet. A few small pieces are enough.
- Place beans or ground coffee in a container or in a canvas bag.
- Bottles from the used perfume, orange peel or other citrus fruits, dry herbs, tea bags - all this is used to improve the smell in the closet. Place in a container or in a homemade cloth bag.
- If there are no used bottles, put perfume with a pleasant aroma. Splashing perfume on clothes is not necessary!
- To prevent mold, place a napkin moistened with iodine in a jar and cover with a cotton pad. This measure will save you from reappearing mold. Iodine is very volatile - stains on clothing may appear.
- Place ground cinnamon or cloves in a jar or sack. They will not only ennoble your wardrobe with a pleasant smell, but also prevent the appearance of moths.
- Flavors, essential oils buy at the pharmacy. In no case do not take air fresheners - they serve for other purposes.
- Regularly clean up the closet: throw away the excess, broken, torn and sort out the clothes. Do an audit every six months.
- If the smell has already appeared, do not put clean things there - they will quickly become saturated and you will have to wash them again.
- Do not put damp clothes that can become a source of mildew and smell in the closet.
- Keep bed and underwear separately from outerwear.
- Do not attempt to refine furniture or clothing with an air freshener. The stale smell not only does not fade, but also mixes with another fragrance, which will aggravate the situation.
- Do not mix clean clothes and those that were worn the other day. Ideally, worn clothing needs extra storage space. But if you don’t have any extra furniture, ventilate the clothes at night, and in the morning, put them in the closet.
- Leave the pieces of soap on the shelves that neutralize some of the unpleasant odors.
- Tea bag with bergamot, soaked in fragrant oils, will be an excellent tool for freshness in the closet.
- Put the coffee in the bags, place on the shelves. This neutralizes odors, will give a fresh cupboard.
- Such bags can be made both yourself and buy in the store.
- Put a bottle of perfume on the shelf. This will provide a persistent smell for a long time.
- As a preventive measure, it is advisable to air the cabinet every two months.
- Clean linen quickly attracts smells. Do not hang clothes to dry in the kitchen (especially while cooking), in a smoky room or where it smells unpleasant.
- Always close the cabinet door to prevent foreign odors from entering it.
- Put the furniture in which you store your laundry preferably so that it gets the sun. So you can avoid dampness.
It is easier to prevent the appearance of an unpleasant odor than to eliminate it later. It is better to ventilate the closet in advance, put a piece of soap in there and occasionally pick up clothes than wash the entire wardrobe from behind one shirt, laundering shelves along the way. Do not be lazy and carry out regular cleaning throughout the apartment. This is your home. Make it comfortable for your family.