Basturma is a cut of thin transparent strips of meat wrapped in fragrant and exotic spices. The product is considered a traditional dish of Caucasian, Central Asian and Turkish cuisine. If you cook pork basturma at home - you get a great and rich treat for any holiday table.
Step-by-step recipe for classic basturma
"Compressed meat" from pork, cooked according to the classical or Armenian recipe, turns out juicy and tender. Basturma is a slow cooking dish and requires long soak for full cooking and drying.
- Pork tenderloin - 1.5-2 kg;
- Salt, but not iodized - 6 tbsp. l .;
- Noble laurel leaves (bay leaf) - 5 pcs .;
- Ground black pepper - 1 tbsp. l .;
- Seasoning "Adjika" - 3 tbsp. l .;
- Red ground pepper - 1 tbsp. l .;
- Ground paprika - 2 tbsp. l .;
- Sweet basil - 1 tbsp. l .;
- Rosemary - 1 tbsp. l .;
- Coriander - 1 tbsp. l .;
- Gauze or plain cotton fabric.
- With meat we remove the film and fat. If you want the delicacy to be ready in the shortest possible time, make chunks of about 600 grams.
- Mix black ground pepper, salt (preferably coarse), break sheets of laurel. This mixture should be enough for the whole piece of pork, grease it thoroughly.
- Pour one part of the prepared mixture to the bottom of an oblong container. We cut the tenderloin in the mixture (salt, pepper, bay leaf), put it well and fill it with the second part of the spices. Cover the container with a lid and put it in the fridge for three days. It is important not to forget about the meat and turn it over several times during the day.
- After 3 days, remove the tenderloin from the refrigerator and wash off the salt with water. Then we well paper with paper napkins. Wrap in cotton fabric and put in the fridge for 12 hours to dry completely.
- While the pork is standing in the fridge, we prepare three mixtures to give the dish an original savor.
- The first mixture - basil, rosemary and ground coriander, mix thoroughly.
- The second mixture is paprika (sweet varieties of chilli peppers), red hot peppers. If you do not like spicy, take less red pepper, but do not forget that the piquancy of the dish in his stinging crust.
- The third mixture, the adjika seasoning, is mixed with a small amount of water to make a marinade of thick consistency in the form of a gel. Take into account that the marinade is also spicy.
- Dry meat is carefully rolled by turns in different cooked mixtures.
- Well wrap a piece of gauze or cotton cloth. Tighten tightly threads. We hang for drying in a ventilated place.
- In a week, or better two, homemade pork basturma will be ready. Be sure to check that the gauze or fabric is completely dry; if it gets wet, replace it.
Before using the delicacy, remove the crust from the mixture, and then cut into thin transparent slices.
How to choose spices and seasonings
There is simply no certain seasoning for pork basturma. Each cook has his own recipe for rubbing meat. For example, a mixture of spices according to the Armenian recipe - "Chaman" is very popular.
Mix "Chaman" is prepared the day before use.
Boil 0.5 liters of water and as soon as it boils, add 3 bay leaves, 2-3 allspice of allspice. Boil water for a few minutes with spices.
Cool the broth, strain, and pour into a container with seasonings already prepared:
- Chaman fenugreek ground - 5 tbsp. l
- Sugar - 1 tbsp. l
- Salt - ½ tbsp. l
- Allspice black pepper - 1 tbsp. l
- Paprika (a mixture of sweet peppers) - 3 tbsp. l
- Ground cumin (zira) - 1 tbsp. l
- Coriander - ½ tbsp. l
- Dried garlic - 2 tbsp. l
- Chilli powder - 1 tbsp. l
Infused "Chaman" 24 hours in a cool place, after which you can carefully rub the pork tenderloin. This recipe may not like just for one reason - intolerance to the smell of garlic. Withstand two weeks of strong smell of garlic in the refrigerator, not everyone is ready, so you can not make it into the composition. Two days before the basturma is ready, remove the "Chaman" and replace it with fresh, but with the addition of garlic.
- The tenderloin should not be thicker than 3 cm. Choose the length of the piece yourself.
- If you use wine for cooking, then the ratio should be 1: 1. It will take 1 kg of tenderloin per 1 liter of alcoholic grape drink. Pour the meat so that it is completely covered with wine.
- The pickle in which you pickle fresh meat must be salty.
- Usually basturma is spicy, but at home you can use the amount of seasoning to your liking.
- Carefully cover all areas of the pork mixture.
- The tenderloin is kept for 3 to 7 days under pressure. The load for the press takes about 12 kilograms.
- Do not forget to check the meat before you buy it, it must be fresh to avoid the proliferation of parasites, because the product remains raw.
- The drying process should take place in dry and warm weather. The right time is spring or summer.
- Shelf life treats up to six months when properly stored in the refrigerator.
- "Compressed meat" is served as an independent snack or as an additional ingredient for sandwiches.
It takes a lot of time to prepare basturma, but the result is worth it. Delicacy turns out to be much tastier than the shopping option. In addition, many manufacturers relate to the manufacture of not very good faith, in the shortest time possible, they make it out in order to add extra weight. Also use chemical additives and not always high-quality raw materials.
In the manufacture of dried meat used a large number of spices, so the product is not recommended for people with allergies to seasonings. Basturma is contraindicated if there are problems with the liver and kidneys, as well as with gastrointestinal diseases (ulcer, gastritis).