The appearance of basturma is associated with the troops of Genghis Khan. Usually, a campaigner took a piece of meat with him, which he hid a horse under his saddle. For a long time traveling, the meat managed to feed on salt from horse sweat and lose all moisture under the weight of the rider. Whether this is so is not known for certain, but now this dish is very common in the territory of the countries of the former Ottoman Empire.
The beef dried in a special way has a relatively low calorie content for meat products - 240 kcal / 100 g. This is because fillets without fat are used to make basturma.
Since the raw materials are not subjected to any heat treatment, all the benefits of beef remain. The product is useful to include in the diet to meet the body's need for animal fats. Beef jerky helps to quickly build muscle mass, cope with chronic fatigue and defeat anemia. Spices marinade, have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effect.
The classic recipe for basturma from beef
According to the classic recipe basturma is prepared absolutely not difficult, even though the whole process takes nearly a month. But if you have patience and the necessary ingredients, you can pamper yourself and the household with a delicious and, most importantly, high-quality delicacy.
For the preparation of basturma, meat and spices are needed per kilogram of beef tenderloin. The latter are no less important than the main product.
Ingredients for pre-pickling:
- 90 g of salt;
- 60 g sugar;
- 5 g black ground pepper.
Ingredients for thick marinade-plaster:
- 30 g crushed through a garlic press;
- 25 g of chaman (or fenugreek);
- 18 g ground paprika;
- 18 g ground red pepper;
- 5 g black ground pepper.
- Mix salt, sugar and pepper. The resulting pickling mixture thoroughly smear a piece of beef. To speed up the process of making basturma, cut the meat into thin pieces 2 cm wide.
- The meat rolled up in the pickling mix should be put into a colander placed above a bowl or pan, and the pressure should be set on top (for example, a liter jar of water). Move the structure in the refrigerator for 3-5 days so that the workpiece is well salted. At least twice a day to turn to the other side.
- On the fourth day cook the marinade with the chaman. To do this, mix all the spices in a bowl or another container and, adding a little water, bring the mixture to a thickness of sour cream. Then remove the marinade for a day in the cold so that the spices can “make friends” and form a harmonious bouquet.
- Put salted meat in a suitable container, thoroughly coat and coat with marinade from all sides. Marinate beef in the fridge for another three days.
- After that, dry the meat on a baking sheet, to obtain a crust of spices. To do this in a draft (it is possible on the window sill at an open window, if the temperature permits), regularly turning it from one side to another.
- Suspended beef hang in a dark cool place with a temperature not higher than 7-8 degrees. In the conditions of a city apartment, a refrigerator door is suitable for this purpose.
- As soon as a piece of meat hardens and stops to feel the softness inside, the basturma is ready.
The recipe of the Armenian basturma is interesting because the beef is pre-salted in brine (we take the spices per kilogram of beef tenderloin), and not by the dry method. The second point: for brine and for marinade-plastering, dry red wine is used, which gives the dried meat not only a special taste, but also color.
Ingredients for brine on red dry wine:
- 1000 ml of dry red wine;
- 180 g of salt;
- 10 g of red ground pepper;
- 30 g of chaman (fenugreek);
- 30 grams of sumach (dried ground pomegranate);
- 30 g minced garlic.
Ingredients for marinade-plaster:
- 15 g of salt;
- 90 g of garlic, passed through a press;
- 15 g sumac;
- 10 g of chaman;
- 10 g of hot red pepper powder;
- 100 ml of red wine to obtain the necessary consistency.
Ingredients for a thick coat:
- 5 g of salt;
- 5 g of chaman;
- 5 g red pepper;
- 5 g flour.
- In red wine, dissolve salt, add garlic and other spices, mix well and put meat into it. From above to establish oppression. To beef well saturated with salt, make a few punctures with a knife. Send the tenderloin in brine for seven days in the fridge to salt it.
- To put spices out, first mix all the dry ingredients, and then, pouring the wine in small portions, bring thick sour cream to the consistency.
- Diligently smear a piece of thick marinade on all sides and put it in the fridge for a day so that the meat absorbs all the aromas of the spices.
- After a day, clean the plastering in a separate bowl. Pull the rope through a piece of clipping so that it can be hung. Mix peeled plaster with flour, pepper, salt and chaman. The resulting thick coating with a brush to cover the workpiece from all sides. It should make a layer of 2-3 mm.
- Hang the meat for 10-14 days on the door of the refrigerator for drying. During this time, the beef will become dense and a little hard, but not like a stone.
Use for cooking only fresh meat purchased from a trusted seller, to be sure that it was not chosen by parasites. The ideal time for cooking meat snacks will be spring or early summer, when cool, cool weather keeps on the street, and you can safely hang the meat for a couple of weeks on the balcony.
Before you start cooking meat for basturma, you definitely need to get rid of excess fat and films. After that, it should be cut into wide long strips, the thickness of which does not exceed three centimeters.
If salting does not occur in a dry way, but in saline, then it should be very concentrated. Check whether the concentration of salt, with the help of chicken eggs. If it floats and does not sink, the pickle is cooked properly.
Exposure of meat under the yoke lasts 3-7 days. At this stage, the weight of the load placed on top is of great importance. On a piece of beef weighing one kilogram take the oppression weighing 10-12 kg.
Shelf life of home basturma in the refrigerator is six months. Serve dried meat as an independent snack, just cut into thin slices or cooked sandwiches.
An interesting fact about basturma, which scientists have not yet been able to find. A small portion of fragrant basturma can give a person sweat the smell of spices in which she pickled. Why this happens is unknown, but the fragrance is so persistent that no deodorant can handle it. True, in 10-15 hours everything goes by itself.
Do not be afraid, you can safely eat delicious beef, dried in spices, cooked at home. Preparing it is not so difficult.