Lent is an important event for the Orthodox. Easter begins with fasting. This is a period of purification not only of the body, but also of the soul. Meals during the period of fasting change dramatically. We have to forget about the usual dishes and go to vegetable products.
Well quench hunger avocado. This is a high-calorie product. Salad with it will fill the lack of vitamins and saturate the body.
- one avocado;
- a pair of tomatoes;
- one bulb medium size;
- two cucumbers;
- two hundred grams of radish;
- lemon juice.
- All components cut.
- Chop onions, and hold for 10 minutes in lemon juice.
- Mix it up.
- Season with lemon juice.
- When vegetable fats are allowed, add olive oil.
Recipe for fortified lean salad
- one cucumber;
- one lemon;
- a bunch of mint;
- one grenade;
- a glass of couscous;
- tablespoon honey;
- 2 tbsp. l olive oil.
- Cook the couscous and place in a deep container.
- Mix lemon juice, oil, salt and pour into rice, mix.
- Top with pomegranate seeds, add grated lemon peel, chopped mint, chopped cucumber, honey.
- To mix everything.
Salad is ready to eat.
Salad from the usual vegetables
- a pound of cabbage;
- one big bell pepper;
- a pair of cucumbers;
- a bunch of fresh dill;
- tablespoon of sugar;
- a teaspoon of salt;
- Table vinegar - one, you can two tbsp. spoons;
- vegetable oil.
- Cabbage chop into thin strips, pepper strips, cucumber strips, crumble dill.
- Mix cabbage with salt, vinegar, sugar and mash it until juice appears, then add pepper and cucumber, season with butter.
Buckwheat porridge with vegetables
Vegetables can take any, to taste.
- one onion;
- one carrot;
- one pepper;
- one tomato;
- one eggplant;
- green beans - 100g;
- olive oil or sunflower oil - 2 tbsp. spoons.
- Buckwheat for a specified number of vegetables, take two hundred grams.
- First, fry onions and carrots in a pan.
- Then they add pepper, eggplant.
- Stew for about seven minutes, covering the pan with a lid.
- Beans are sent to the pan. Prepare another 5 minutes.
- Washed buckwheat is added to vegetables, water is poured (2 parts of water is mixed with 1 part of buckwheat)
- From above spread the sliced tomato, garlic, salt and boil until cooked.
Buckwheat should turn out crumbly, without excess water.
Oatmeal with nuts and dried fruit
Regular porridge on the water during fasting can be diversified by adding nuts, candied fruits, raisins, dried fruits. The following oatmeal recipe with these ingredients.
- a glass of rolled oats;
- 30 g of candied fruits and dried fruits;
- 50 grams of nuts;
- a pinch of salt;
- some fresh fruit.
In the pan lay out rolled oats, nuts, candied fruits, dried fruit, salt. Water take two glasses. Cook for 12-15 minutes. When serving, you can decorate the dish with fresh berries or fruits.
Borsch in a slow cooker
It will take 2 hours to prepare, but the result is worth the time spent. It turns out saturated, fragrant, thick soup. The slow cooker preserves the flavor, aroma, shape of vegetables.
- one large beet;
- one or two carrots;
- one onion;
- one large pepper;
- cabbage - a quarter of the average head;
- three potatoes;
- litere of water;
- salt to taste;
- two bay leaves.
Cut vegetables, diced, strips, etc. Prepared ingredients, except potatoes, put in a multicooker container, add half a glass of water. Close, cook for half an hour in fire mode. Then add chopped potatoes, salt, water. Cook another hour in soup mode.
Lean solyanka with mushrooms
- 150 g sauerkraut;
- 400 g fresh cabbage;
- 150 g onions and carrots;
- 200 g of dried and fresh mushrooms;
- 200 g salted cucumbers;
- 3 tablespoons of pickled capers;
- any fresh greens;
- three bay leaves;
- 5 tablespoons of tomato paste;
- spices and salt to taste;
- Soak dried mushrooms, when soften pour another half liter of water. Boil for half an hour.
- Fresh mushrooms cut into plates. Grate carrots. Onions cut and fry. Cabbage finely chop. Cucumbers also cut.
- Add grated carrots, cucumbers, sauerkraut to fried onions. Extinguish about three minutes.
- Add fresh cabbage, salt, pasta. Cook for another 15 minutes.
- To boiling dried mushrooms add fresh, capers, bay leaf.
- Transfer the vegetables to the mushroom broth and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Pour greens, a little salt, spices.
- Turn off the slow cooker and let the soup stand.
If you wish, you can add something of your own or remove something that is not to your taste.
Lean soup - a simple recipe
- a pound of cabbage;
- five potatoes;
- three carrots;
- two onions;
- six cloves of garlic;
- any greens;
- salt to taste;
- vegetable oil.
- Shred cabbage, immerse in 2.5 liters of water, add salt, cook for half an hour. Cut onions, carrots, garlic.
- First, fry the garlic lightly, add the onions and carrots to it and fry until golden brown.
- Add potatoes to the cabbage, boil for 10 minutes, then pour the vegetable roasting.
- Boil for 5 minutes, turn off.
- Throw greens, insist 15 minutes.
Lean pilaf with mushrooms
- 400 grams of rice;
- 600 ml of water;
- five fresh champignons;
- one large onion;
- two cloves of garlic;
- salt, allspice to taste;
- 20 ml of soy sauce;
- some vegetable oil for roasting;
- Fry rice to transparency - 5 minutes. Add water, salt, pepper, turmeric. Cover the container with a lid and cook for about half an hour on low heat.
- Onion finely cut into cubes, mushrooms - plates. Fry them together.
- Add gravy to the mushrooms with onion, salt and stew.
- Cut the greens and garlic, throw to roasting.
- Ready rice mix with mushroom roasting. The pilaf is ready.
Potato patties with peas
- a kilo of potatoes;
- a glass of canned peas;
- one small onion;
- one bay leaf;
- seasoning to taste;
- cooking oil for frying;
- Flour for rolling.
- Cook potatoes in water with bay leaf. Mash it out.
- Finely chop the onion, fry until golden brown and mix with mashed potatoes. While preparing the onion, you can add turmeric with paprika.
- Pour peas without liquid, salt and mix.
- It remains to form the cutlets, roll in flour and put on a greased pan.
- After frying on both sides, serve with tomatoes, mushrooms, and various sauces.
Stuffed cabbage fast mushroom
- 700 g of mushrooms (champignons, oyster mushrooms or others);
- a head of cabbage weighing 1.5 kg;
- two carrots;
- two hundred grams of rice;
- one onion;
- salt, greens, pepper, ground to taste;
- 4 bay leaves;
- 4 black peppercorns;
- 3 tbsp. l tomato;
- vegetable fat for frying.
- Preparation of cabbage leaves. Top leaves to tear off. Make several cuts around the stalk, lower the head into the water, boil it in boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove the head from the water and remove the soft leaves. Reaching fresh leaves, repeat the procedure. Do not digest, otherwise they will begin to tear.
- Rice cook for about seven minutes.
- Carrots and onion grate.
- Finely chop the mushrooms.
- Carrots, mushrooms, fry onions, add rice to them.
- Salt, pepper, mix. Stuffing ready.
- Next, take a leaf of cabbage. The required amount of mushroom stuffing is laid out on it and wrapped in an envelope. Cabbage rolls are stacked in one row tightly to each other.
- Cooking sauce. A little flour is fried in oil, add tomato paste and pour in 500 ml of water. The sauce is salted, peppered and allowed to boil for 3 minutes. Cabbage rolls are watered over with sauce, bay leaves and peppercorns are laid on top. Cook in the oven for 40-50 minutes. Temperature range 200 degrees.
Barley Porridge with Pumpkin
- 200 g of barley;
- 600 ml of water;
- one onion;
- 270 g pumpkin;
- one big carrot;
- 30 grams of vegetable oil;
- salt, pepper, ground to taste.
- Barley survive the night in the water. Grate the pumpkin.
- Drain the water from the barley and pour it fresh. Mix the grits with pumpkin.
- Stir and cook for about an hour on low heat. If the water boils away, you can add more.
- Cut onion and fry. Grate carrots and continue to fry with onions.
- Mix porridge with roasting. Pepper, salt and even hold on low heat for five minutes.
- Let stand under the lid.
Desserts and Baking
- 75 g of oatmeal;
- 140 g of sugar and wheat flour;
- 3 tablespoons of any fruit juice;
- 50 g of vegetable oil;
- ⅓ tsp salt and soda.
- Combine dry ingredients (salt, sugar, flour, soda). Mix the oil with the juice, and then gradually pour in the flour.
- Knead the dough, it should be soft, tender, not stick to your hands.
- Roll out, cut into squares or use cookie cutters.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 200 degrees.
- In the dough, you can add candied fruits, nuts, dried fruits.
What is required:
- 150 g of orange freshly squeezed juice, sugar, vegetable fat (oil);
- rind of one big orange;
- 380 g flour;
- two art. l water;
- one article l vinegar;
- third part tsp salts;
- one tsp soda
- Mix juice, butter, sugar. Wait until the sugar has dissolved, add flour, salt, zest, add vinegar.
- Knead homogeneous dough. Connect the soda with water and send it to the dough.
- Grease the cake pan with vegetable fat, lightly flour and pour out the mass.
- Oven 40 minutes at 180 degrees. Sprinkle the finished cupcake with powdered sugar.
Cake "Napoleon" - Lenten
Ingredients for cake layers:
- a glass of vegetable oil;
- a glass of mineral water with gas;
- 0.5 tsp. salts;
- 4 and a half cups of flour.
Ingredients for cream:
- 200 g of semolina;
- 300 g of sugar;
- litere of water;
- 150 grams of almonds;
- one lemon.
- Cakes. Pour water into the oil and add salt. In the mixture in small portions add flour and knead non-sticky dough.
- Soak the dough in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Mass divided into 12 or 15 parts. Thinly roll each piece, bake for 5-7 minutes.
- After rolling do not forget to chop with a fork. Temperature - 200 degrees.
- Cream. Grind almonds in a crumb, pouring in water. Get something like milk.
- Mix it with sugar, put on fire. After boiling pour carefully semolina.
- Boil until it turns thick porridge. Cool, pour lemon juice and chopped zest, beat with a blender.
- Lubricate cakes and let soak for 5 hours. Top can be powdered crumbs from the cakes.
Baked apples with nuts and honey
- four large, with dense, firm pulp, apples;
- 60 grams of walnuts and the same amount of honey;
- four tsp. Sahara;
- Art. l cinnamon
- Apples wash, core, expanding upwards without breaking.
- Pour a teaspoonful of sugar into the hole. There is a little cinnamon on it, and walnuts complete the composition.
- Grease the form with vegetable oil. Apples should not touch. Keep a distance of at least three cm.
- Bake in the oven for about half an hour at 180. Ensure that the skin does not crack much.
Put the finished fruit on a flat dish and pour over with honey.
What they eat in monasteries during Lent
There is no general catering for all monasteries taken together. The charter assumes the set of dishes and products, with observance of the generally accepted norms.
- The monks of Athos on Saturdays and Sundays eat seafood, excluding fish.
- Cyprus Brotherhood, except Wednesday, prepares octopus with fragrant spices.
- In the northern areas, people spend a lot of energy, so to keep warm by the charter, eating fish is allowed. It is allowed to cook on Sundays.
- Eastern monks find it easier to cope with hunger, and their statute distributes the use of certain types of vegetables and fruits by day.
- For Russian monks, the first week of the fast and the last is especially strict. The brethren these days are not dining. But, for them, bread, boiled potatoes, fermented vegetables are always ready.
During fasting, all animal products are excluded from the diet.
How to make a full menu for every day
During fasting, the habitual diet is changed, which may adversely affect health, therefore, it is necessary to take a serious meal plan.
- The main dishes on the table will consist of vegetable products, beans, cereals, vegetables, fruits, mushrooms, nuts, honey.
- The usual diet should be left. It should be attended and breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner.
- Animal food is a source of protein. Without it, there is a feeling of hunger. Do not lean on sweets. This is bad for the figure. To fill the lack of protein will help legumes, mushrooms, whole grains, nuts. They perfectly satisfy hunger.
- Include in the menu soy products.
The list of allowed food at the time of fasting is quite large. Of these, you can cook a full meal.
Lean food - vegetarian. Eat vegetables, fruits. During the post you can lose weight, losing a week from 2 to 7 pounds. Low-fat foods provide weight reduction. Vegetable food refreshes, cleanses the body, speeds up the metabolism, but losing weight is possible if you do not lean on nuts, cereals with sweet fruits, which increase the calorie content of dishes.
Who regularly observes the post less likely to suffer from heart disease, their blood vessels for a long time retain elasticity, cholesterol is maintained at a safe level.
The Holy Scripture says that the refusal of entertainment, gluttony at least for the time of fasting, helps to direct thoughts in the right direction, to take a different look at the world, to change something in life. Fasting is considered a time of repentance, purification not only of the body, but also of the soul. A person as if awakens from a long sleep, sees everything in a different light. There is a desire to do good deeds, correct old mistakes. With this step begins the path to God.