Children and adults are looking forward to the onset of spring and summer. And now cold days are replaced by warm days. The sun's rays are getting hotter, birds singing is heard, the grass starts to turn green, the first flowers appear. Unfortunately, this time is not pleasant and harmless for everyone. Along with the summer days comes allergy, which is caused by pollen.
Ambrosia from North America. The plant is difficult to withdraw, it quickly multiplies in areas cottages or private houses.
On the waste ground can be found on the territory of Ukraine, Belarus and southern Russia. Weed grows along the roads. Actively grows closer to the middle of April, in June growth and further development takes place. Populifolia ambrosia is considered a malicious weed, with a zone of distribution down to the Pacific Ocean.
Ambrosia is similar to medicinal herbs, which allows it to grow with impunity. People do not exterminate it for this very reason, although the pollen of a flowering weed causes a strong allergic reaction, even suffocation.
When Ambrosia Blooms
The most difficult period for allergy sufferers is summer. Particularly difficult is the period of flowering of ambrosia. An allergic reaction exhausts a person for one season, so that he comes to life until next year.
INFORMATION! Shoots of weed appear from May to June. From late June to early August, flowering occurs, which continues until October. Seed ripening occurs in August.
Seeds came to Russia by accident. They are introduced with grain that was sown in the fields with cereals. At first, the plant began to grow in the south of Russia, in the Krasnodar Territory, where climatic conditions are similar to the weed's homeland, North America.
Due to global warming, ambrosia has begun to spread in temperate latitudes, which indicates the survivability of seeds. An adult plant can produce 40 thousand seeds that can germinate in all conditions. Seeds retain properties for reproduction even after 40 years.
Ambrosia, despite its attractive name, causes many problems not only to landowners, but also causes significant damage to health, in severe cases leading to death. At the time of flowering pollen begins to irritate the respiratory tract, making it difficult to breath. It is for this reason that the weed belongs to the quarantine object.
Anyone in contact with ambrosia will experience a serious allergic reaction caused by pollen. There may even be an acute attack of suffocation.
Pollen has a small size that allows you to freely enter the respiratory tract. In contact with the mucous membrane, it causes irritation, which entails the appearance of allergies. Reactions are different - ranging from fever to asthma.
Avoid contact with the plant is recommended during pregnancy and during lactation. If medicines are prescribed, which include ambrosia, you should consult with your doctor.
A weed plant causes irreparable harm not only to human health, but also to the environment.
Ambrosia drains soil significantly. As soon as a seed appears that grows to a process, literally in a couple of years the whole territory is covered with a weed of this species. Such stability contributes to the root, growing up to 4 meters. He gets water from a depth to which the cereal plants are not able to reach.
INFORMATION! Scientists carried out a series of experiments, as a result of which it was revealed that for the growth of ambrosia to the mass of one kilogram, it is necessary to obtain 1 ton of moisture, almost 2 kilograms of phosphorus and about 16 kilograms of nitrogen. Thus, if in one territory completely weed is exterminated, it will not be possible to use the soil for sowing for a long time.
At the time of growth weed inhibits cultivated plants. When ambrosia sprouted and began to pick up greens, it acquires the ability to shade cereals, taking all the nutrients and moisture from the soil. In those places where there is ambrosia, cultivated plants begin to reduce yields.
In the process of growth displaces grass from the meadows. Getting into the hay, significantly reduces feed quality. Over time, it begins to replace the honey plant, which contributes to the deterioration of equilibrium in the biocenosis.
Many believe that ambrosia is harm and must be destroyed as soon as possible. This issue is engaged at the highest level. Many cities and towns have orders for the destruction of plants. Despite this, ambrosia is often used in traditional medicine. This is due to the fact that it contains nutrients.
Use in medicine
The plant is rich in essential oils, minerals, vitamins and many other nutrients. For therapeutics, all parts are applied - from seeds to roots. In most cases, tinctures are prepared, which include alcohol. The drug is used externally or inside.
Ambrosia is used as a medicinal herb widely. Its main use is the fight against parasites that appear in the digestive tract. The plant has anti-inflammatory properties, lowers fever. Used for dysentery.
INFORMATION! Numerous studies have been carried out, as a result of which it became clear that some substances contained in ambrosia are inhibitors of the growth of cancer cells. Thus, it is used in the fight against malignant tumor of the nasopharynx.
If you stretch the leaves, gruel can be used as a compress for bruises and wounds. Homeopaths are used as a basis for creating allergy medications.
Ambrosia essential oil has a strong aroma. Therefore, the plant was named in honor of the fragrant ointment. Smell can cause headache.
Ambrosia is not an easy plant and this is not surprising. It is both deadly and medicinal. Weed is rich in beneficial substances, which are used in small dosages as a medicine.
Doctors have found that most types of ambrosia have bactericidal properties. The plant helps to destroy cancer cells, and in some cases prevents their appearance.
How to deal with ragweed allergies in adults and children
Allergists attribute the plant to one of the most harmful, aggressive and dangerous species. This is due to the fact that pollen can not just cause allergies, but lead to death.
For the appearance of allergies do not need to plant in close proximity. Pollen can affect a person even hundreds of meters away.
Signs and Symptoms of Allergies
Ambrosia is usually referred to as a quarantine weed, as if in contact with skin, mucous membranes, or if ingested, an allergic reaction occurs. A large percentage of allergies appear not only in adults, but also in children, especially at the time of flowering in July and August. Pollen is especially dangerous for pregnant women.
Allergic symptoms include:
- Runny nose and nasal congestion.
- Itching on the legs and hands, contact with plants.
- The level of itching increases every time.
- Redness of the skin and eyes.
- Discomfort in the throat.
- Cough begins.
- The skin is swollen.
- Increased sweating.
- Headache, nausea.
Severe allergy occurs during pregnancy. Fatigue appears, appetite disappears, mood worsens. If there was direct contact with ambrosia, edema appears on the face, which spreads to the lips, eyes, hands and feet, coughing, migraine appears.
Allergies and children are difficult. In addition to weakness, cough and pain in the head, the temperature may rise, which is accompanied by suffocation. If the allergic reaction is prolonged, the child may have an asthma attack.
ATTENTION! If allergy symptoms appear, you should immediately contact a medical institution.
If you suspect allergies, be sure to consult a doctor. The disease progresses more slowly if the contact with the pollen was not in person. Drugs are prescribed only after the patient is examined by a specialist.
- "Loratadine". Helps prevent the appearance of edema, removes them.
- "Claritin". For adults they produce tablets, syrup is provided for children. Apply the medicine once a day.
- "Suprastin". Available in pill form and in ampoules. Treatment of children under one year should be carried out under the strict supervision of a physician.
- "Aleron". The drug is available in tablets, helps eliminate allergic symptoms. The drug has many positive reviews.
- Cetirizine. One of the drugs that instantly fixes the problem. Use can adults and children over 12 years.
- "Tavigil". Designed for children over 12 years old.
Medications relieve allergy symptoms. To stabilize the condition, it is recommended to use nasal and eye drops, apply medicines that relieve swelling and pain.
Before you begin treating an allergic reaction, consult your doctor. This is necessary in order not to harm the body. Folk remedies help improve the overall condition.
- Celery leaves are minced. Squeeze the juice, in which honey is added in proportions of three to one. Use 3 times a day for 2 tablespoons.
- Approximately 9 tablespoons of pine needles, 2 tablespoons of chopped rosehip, 1 tablespoon of onion peel is poured with water and put 15 minutes on the fire. The resulting broth is filtered and drunk as tea 3 times a day.
- Water is filled with 1 teaspoon of cumin and 1 tablespoon of pumpkin peel and the mixture is brought to a boil, and then cooked for 20 minutes. The cooled broth is consumed in 100 ml twice a day.
- Nettle will help to get rid of itching. To do this, take 1 tablespoon of nettle, pour water and bring to a boil. Cook for 20 minutes. Broth consumed in the form of heat throughout the day about 6 times. If necessary, can be used externally. Caution should be used by pregnant women, the elderly and children.
ATTENTION! At the time of the appearance of an allergic reaction, avoid fried, smoked, salty and sweet foods. If there are animals at home, isolate them from contact with sick people.
How to overcome ambrosia at the dacha
At first glance, the plant seems harmless, what's wrong. Ambrosia acts as an invulnerable enemy, resistant to most chemicals.
There are many chemicals that can easily destroy weeds at any stage of growth, but none of them can cope with ambrosia. On pastures or crops, such substances are prohibited to use.
- The main way to get rid of ambrosia is to remove it along with the root, which is quite difficult if you consider its length. Until flowering, you can mow the weed, but it is not for long. The plant grows quickly and in place of one new two appear. The most important thing is to start work on time, before flowering and the formation of seeds.
- As a struggle use and refining the site. The wasteland on which the weed grows can be planted with flower beds, making alleys and sidewalks.
- Grass crops are planted on the sidelines, which make it difficult to spread, for example, bean varieties. This option is suitable for removal from the field.
- In some cases, insects called Ambrosia leaf beetles come to the rescue. Bugs eat young ambrosia, destroying it. Unfortunately, insects in Russia could not settle down. But scientists are trying to bring new types of them.
Why is the plant so hardy
In North America, the homeland of ambrosia, there are many insects and other plant species that destroy the weed. On the territory of Russia such methods are not used, since it is difficult for insects to get used to climatic conditions.
Weeds are not afraid of drought due to their long roots, and adult species are able to produce from 40 to 140 thousand seeds annually. Seeds can even sprout a few decades later.
At that moment, when it became clear that ambrosia appears on the site and it is impossible to fight it, you should ask for help in quarantine management.