An aquarium is a small world in water. Watching fish is a fascinating thing, but there comes a time when every owner of a personal underwater kingdom starts asking questions about cleaning a fish aquarium at home.
How often to clean the aquarium and why
At home, it is impossible to create a favorable environment for fish, which would eliminate the cleaning process. Snails will help to cope with some pollution, but sooner or later human intervention will be needed. You need to know how often to clean the aquarium.
The frequency depends on the volume. If the capacity is 50 liters and more - will have to be cleaned more often. Initially, the cause of pollution is the lack of a proper microclimate for fish. This indicates errors during startup. To do this, there is a drug that promotes the formation of bacteria. At the small sizes it is possible to carry out cleaning in process of pollution. For example, if the volume is up to 20 liters, you can clean it once in 2 weeks.
During the harvesting, it is necessary to bleach the scenery, wash the plants, remove plaque from the walls. Partial water change occurs once every few weeks. If the aquarium is cleaned frequently, you can reduce the amount of fish food. There are cases when the filter does not cope with the work. This may be due to the large number of fish. In such cases, it is better to replace it.
Always consider the number of fish. The more of them, the bowl you need to clean the aquarium. Due to oversaturation, there is a risk of death of the inhabitants. There are species of fish that painfully tolerate frequent water changes.
When the aquarium holds more than 10 liters of water and is equipped with the necessary equipment, you can clean it once a month. The entire cleaning process is to remove plaque. When replacing water, dirt is removed from the bottom, but a filter can handle it.
Frequent water changes are reflected in the microclimate, and fish and plants are under stress. There are cases when a fuzzy brown color appears on the walls of aquariums. It is useless to delete. We must deal with the cause of his appearance.
Current cleaning should take place several times a week. If the movement of fish rises from the bottom of the mud spot, it is a signal to start cleaning, even if the inhabitants feel good.
Preparing the aquarium for cleaning
Before you start work, you need to prepare the tool and material. It will take:
- Large capacity.
- Siphon, complete with hose.
Prepare clean water. Remove stale water from the aquarium, up to 30% of the total volume. When the content of marine fish, water should be composed of sea salt. Fresh water should be free of impurities and chlorine.
Infusion of water passes within two days. Two hours before the start of cleaning and two hours later, do not feed the fish.
Used containers must be new. Hands should be washed before the procedure. Before you start, you must turn off electrical appliances and filter.
How to drain the water
It will take a deep tank, a pitcher, a net, a hose with a clip. Procedure.
- The aquarium water is drawn into the barge. You can use a tank or another aquarium.
- All plants are removed. If the water is drained due to algae disease, they will have to be thrown out and used new ones.
- Next to the aquarium put a deep tank, a level below.
- The hose must be flexible, and the length is several times greater than the height of the aquarium.
- The hose is filled with water, and the edges are clamped.
- One end is placed on the very bottom, near the ground. This will remove not only water, but all contaminants. The second end of the hose is lowered into the container.
- After the clamps are removed.
- If the capacity is less than the volume of the aquarium, then periodically have to pour out the water.
Where to put the fish
When water is completely replaced, fish are caught with a net and deposited in a deep container or in another aquarium. Used water from the aquarium. When the water is replaced completely, you can plant the aquarium plants. It is not recommended to run the fish for about a week. During this period, a microclimate will be formed. After a couple of days the water will grow cloudy. This indicates the activity of bacteria, and after a few days will begin to lighten. It is time to return the fish.
Step-by-step cleaning plan
Aquarium - home and office decoration. Keeping it clean is easy. The main thing is to know some nuances.
Walls and glass
Cleaning begins with cleaning the walls. It depends on them entertainment. Bacteria and algae appear on the glasses. It gives a sloppy look.
ATTENTION! Do not use detergent chemicals, even for use on the outer surface. Traces of dirt can be easily removed with a special scraper. If it fails, you can take the blade.
The outside of the tank can be cleaned with a damp sponge or cloth. Special detergents do not harm the inhabitants. Snails and fish cope with some types of pollution, but traces remain on the glass. Part of the plaque can eat fish, and the rest is removed by draining water.
Washing the soil will lead to a violation of the microclimate and poor health of the fish.
With a good filter, some of the waste is removed, the other remains and settles at the bottom. Rotting disrupts the growth of algae, to prevent this, you need to clean the soil. For this purpose, a special siphon is used, which is designed to clean the soil. Devices may differ in characteristics and functionality, but the principle of operation remains unchanged.
Pollution from the soil washed out by pressure. The result is clean ground and water. It is advisable to use it at the time of partial replacement of water.
Algae and decorations
On the scenery and algae, a dark-colored film is formed. A scourer or a hard-broom brush is used for removal. Cleaning work can be carried out inside the aquarium or removed. Do not use cleaning products. Before you return the scenery and algae, they must dry.
INTERESTING! To combat the algae, which are deposited on the glass and decorations use the fish that eat them.
The sponge inside the filter needs to be cleaned regularly, to avoid clogging and reducing water flow. But it should be borne in mind that the old sponge with traces of pollution is more effective than the new one. This is due to the fact that the beneficial bacteria live on the surface of the sponge. When heavily polluted, it is difficult for water to enter, because of the decrease in oxygen, these bacteria die.
Thus, a sponge from a low power filter needs to be washed once every few weeks. If the filter contains activated carbon, it must be changed monthly. Filters with primary cleaning are replaced every few weeks, and biological wash once a month.
Replacing all the water can be harmful, as when washing the soil. In order not to violate the microclimate, you should replace about 30% of the water weekly.
How to remove pollution without draining water
You can take care of the health of the inhabitants of the aquarium by cleaning once a week.
- Prepare a volume of water to be replaced.
- To clean the glass and algae will need a scraper.
- Deep tank.
- Hand pump.
- Replaceable filter accessories.
- Special means for cleaning walls.
Step-by-step actions to remove contamination:
- The walls. Glasses can be cleaned with a scraper. For difficult pollution the blade will approach. Use of clean rubber gloves is required. The scraper is used only for working in an aquarium.
- Cooking water. You need to determine how much water will change. With regular care for the aquarium, you can replace 15% of the volume. If there are sick fish, then upgrade to 50%.
- Pumping water. The pump is placed in the aquarium, and the water is pumped into the tank.
- Gravel cleaning. In such cases, a special pump is used. With it, you can remove food residues and contamination. If there are fry in the aquarium, then a cloth should be attached to the end of the pump. In the presence of sand, it is not recommended to use a spade-shaped pump. To remove dirt, you can use the hose from the pump, it will not come into contact with the sand.
- Scenery. Do not forget that the scenery is kept clean. Algae begin to grow rapidly with excess nutrients. You can remove them with a scraper in the pumped water. If cleaning is difficult, you can use a bleaching solution. After that, the scenery is washed with boiling water, dried and returned.
- Adding water. Replacement of water should occur in compliance with the temperature regime - this is an important factor in the health of the inhabitants of the aquarium. For fish, warm water may seem too hot. When using tap water you need to soften it. At elevated nitrate levels, half of the volume can be replaced with distilled water.
After replacing the water, you can proceed to the treatment of the external surface of the aquarium, using a damp cloth or sponge, without chemical detergents.
How to care for the aquarium
When the aquarium is equipped and the fish are running into it, you need to take care of it regularly. This will preserve the attractive appearance and health of the inhabitants. It will take a couple of minutes every day and a couple of hours a week.
Feeding and inspection equipment
Inspection of the inhabitants. At the time of feeding you need to inspect the fish for diseases. If you suspect, find out the reason and take action.
- Replacing water. Replace part of stagnant water once a week or two.
- Glass care. Remove algae from the walls of the aquarium.
- Filter. The filter needs care. Clean the sponge and change the elements that filter the water.
- Plants. They require attention. Dead ones to be removed, some worth cutting.
- Cooling. In the warm season you need to cool the aquarium. Install away from direct sunlight.
- It is not recommended to overfeed fish. You need to give as much food as the inhabitants can eat within a few minutes. Remains of food settle to the bottom and decompose, and from overeating the fish can get sick.
- Water should not be rich in fish and algae. Biological balance will be disturbed.
- Do not choose a deep aquarium, it will make cleaning difficult. The best option is when the hand reaches the bottom.
- For novice aquarists it is not recommended to acquire expensive types of inhabitants. Due to lack of experience, the fish may die. It is better to gain experience on unpretentious types.
- Inhabitants can jump out, so the aquarium should be closed.
- After the death of the fish, do not immediately launch a new individual. Observe the quarantine period.
- If you need to change the temperature of the water, do not do it abruptly.
- Remove any feed residue in a timely manner. This will avoid contamination.
- When the inhabitants fall ill, it is better to sanitize the aquarium.
- When completely replacing the water, do not deposit the fish in a metal container.
- Fish should be protected from noise. They may experience discomfort, as a result, immunity will decrease and they will be more likely to get sick.
Self-cleaning of the aquarium at home will not create problems and will not take much time. Following the care tips, properly caring for the fish, enjoy and enjoy the beauty of the inhabitants of the water world.