Nail fungus can deliver a lot of trouble, not only to an infected person, but also to his relatives. This disease is transmitted both through personal contact and in conditions of general life. This fact means only one thing - the fungus should be treated necessarily, and the measures should be comprehensive: if the problem arose on the nails, then it is also present on the skin of the legs. Moreover, local remedies must be combined with oral medication. Only in this way will it be possible to defeat the disease at home. I will tell you about the methods and methods of getting rid of toenail fungus in the article.
Why does a fungus and its species appear
The spores of the fungus are microscopic and live where a person lives. Approximately 70,000 fungi are known, but those that cause diseases are most dangerous.
So it turns out that one person is healthy and the other has “picked up” the fungus? The following reasons may contribute to this:
- Sore legs, abrasions, corns.
- Violation of personal hygiene.
- Reducing the body's defenses.
- Increased sweating feet (hyperhidrosis).
The type of fungus that struck the nail plate can only be determined by a dermatologist after testing. Sometimes it is possible and by visual inspection to understand what kind of disease caused:
- Dermatophytes. The lesion appears as yellowish spots or stripes. The progressing stage is characterized by the acquisition of a brighter shade and the defeat of the entire plate.
- Yeast. Affect the color and structure of the nail rollers, causing inflammation and suppuration.
- Moldy. They do not penetrate very deeply and appear dark and black spots.
It is worth noting that the stronger the lesion, the brighter the symptoms and signs of the fungus.
Symptoms and signs of damage
Successful treatment depends directly on the correct and timely diagnosis. If you are attentive to yourself, be sure to notice the manifestations of the fungus on the toenails. The following symptoms and signs should be alerted:
- Change the color of the plate. Color may indicate the type of fungus that caused the disease. You can notice yellow, gray, black, green and blue spots or stripes on the nails.
- Change the density of the nail. If you see thinning or, conversely, thickening of the nails, you should visit a doctor.
- Itching and burning. Arise systematically and cause discomfort.
- Violation of the integrity of the plate. The nail may crack. Also, dry skin on the heels suggests a fungal infection.
Discomfort occurs because of the effects of toxins of the fungus on the skin and nails, so the sooner you see a doctor and the sooner you start the treatment, the faster your complete recovery will come. If you do not treat the fungus, you can completely lose a nail or a few nail plates. Also, toxins poison the body and can cause eczema.
Effective popular methods of struggle
Traditional methods will help get rid of the fungus, especially at the initial stage. I present the most common recipes to combat the disease.
Used for baths. Getting ready for the procedure is simple: take 5 liters of water with a temperature of 50 degrees, add 9% acetic acid and put your feet in a container. The procedure lasts 15 minutes, after it the feet are wiped dry and cotton socks are put on.
First, the feet are steamed in a soda bath, after which the damaged parts of the nail plate are removed. Next, apply a cotton swab with hydrogen peroxide to the nail and cover with polyethylene. Such a compress should remain for an hour. The procedure is performed twice a day.
Iodic tincture of nail plate is smeared 2 times a day. You can also make baths, adding 3 liters of water and 2 teaspoons of iodine.
An antimycotic effect on the skin of the legs and nail plates is made by propolis, both when using tincture and as part of ointments and baths. In a bowl of water, add a tablespoon of propolis. After the procedure, you can apply the tool for half an hour to the nidus.
Potassium permanganate and vinegar
Baths with potassium permanganate and vinegar also do an excellent job with the fungus. To prepare the product, add a liter of table vinegar and a little potassium permanganate to 3 liters of water. The course of treatment is 7 days.
Apply some oil to your wrist to test for allergies. If after 12 hours no strange signs appear, you can use a tool to fight the fungus. The most effective option is tea tree oil. Per liter of liquid, 5 drops of oil are needed. And the extract itself is applied to the nail plate after the procedure of cleansing.
Decoctions of herbs
- Sage and mint. Can be taken orally in the form of tea or used for baths. The infusion is drunk throughout the day, and the bath is made at bedtime.
- Calamus root For 250 ml of water, take 15 g of chopped root. Decoction helps to fight various infections. Drink it for a month.
- Sophora Japanese. Has established itself as a tool that effectively enhances immunity, helps to normalize the functioning of internal organs. To prepare the tincture, take 0.5 vodka and add 50 g of Sophora fruit to it. Take a teaspoon before meals. Course - 2 months.
- Oak bark. It has a detrimental effect on mold and helps get rid of the fungus. Baths are prepared as follows: 1 liter of liquid to connect with 5 tbsp. spoons of bark and boil for 20 minutes. Use for baths when the temperature of the broth reaches 40 degrees. The duration of the procedure is 20 minutes.
Sold in the form of ointment. You can purchase 10% or 30% remedy to achieve the effect. It is necessary to use it after water procedures at bedtime. The ointment is covered by the affected nail.
A small piece is applied to the affected nail and fixed with a bandage. In the morning the bandage is removed, the nails are washed with warm water, the damaged areas are cut off and the fingers are treated with hydrogen peroxide.
Compresses and tinctures
- Garlic. For the treatment of nail fungus on the legs, you can use the pulp from the plant. You need to cook it every evening and apply for 40 minutes.
- Rowan leaves. Crushed and applied overnight.
- Thyme. Tincture prepared from a dry plant. It will take 100 grams of thyme and 2 liters of water. Steam legs need every day until recovery occurs.
- Lilac. Tincture will also help eliminate the fungus. Per 100 ml of alcohol requires 10 g of lilac. The affected areas are lubricated until the problem disappears.
Pharmaceutical preparations and creams
If fungal symptoms appear, local treatment should be started as soon as possible. Pharmaceutical creams, varnishes, drops will go for this.
- "Creolin". The agent in the form of a solution for local treatment. Penetrates into the nail plate deep enough, therefore, provides a good result. Suitable for removing old fungus. Apply 2 times a day. The cost of 75 rubles.
- "Dimexide". The solution is applied after pre-bathing 2 times a day until complete cure. Price - about 80 rubles.
- "Clotrimazole". Ointment to help slow down the development of the disease. Apply on damaged skin and nails. Treatment usually lasts about 5 weeks. Price - about 80 rubles.
- Special varnishes against nail fungus penetrate well into the nail plate. Apply such tools 2 times a day. Among the common varnishes - "Betrofen", "Lotseril", "Demicten". Nails are pre-cleaned and degreased. The average price is 300 rubles.
Pills will help to achieve maximum effectiveness in combating the disease. They are combined with external preparations. In the pharmacy you can buy different in price and effectiveness of funds, below will present the most popular.
- "Flucanazole". It is taken once a week at a dosage of 150 mg. The treatment lasts until the fungus disappears completely. Patients should pay attention to the condition of the kidneys during long-term therapy. Price - 120 rubles.
- "Rumicosis". One course lasts a week. The patient takes 2 capsules in the morning and 2 in the evening. If this does not help, you should extend the reception to 21 days. The price is about 500 rubles.
- Lamisil. It leads to the death of fungal enzymes. Treatment lasts at least 2 months. The cost is about 2000 rubles.
Removal of affected nails
Means for removing damaged nails are also used, but already in a critical condition.
- Chemical. Conducted in the dermatological office. The duration of the procedure is 15 minutes. The doctor removes the cornified layer with a special nail file and a scalpel. Then the doctor treats the entire surface of the foot and nails with an antiseptic, and then applies ointment paste. Sterile material is applied on top, the affected fingers are bandaged. After 4 days, these areas are sanitized with antiseptic and treated with antifungal agent.
- Mechanical. A mycologist or dermatologist removes the affected nails with a special apparatus. Before and after the procedure, the feet are treated with an antiseptic solution.
- Surgical. It is considered obsolete in medical practice. Manipulations are performed by a surgeon. Local anesthesia is administered to the patient with a lidocaine solution. After removal, the wound is treated with hydrogen peroxide, impose an antiseptic ointment, a sterile dressing, followed by fixation with a bandage. In the evening, fingers must be kept in a saline solution. Dressing is done in polyclinic conditions.
What is the best way to treat neglected fungus on the legs
One of the modern methods of getting rid of the fungus on the feet and nails is treatment with the help of laser therapy. This technique is used in cases where the traditional local treatment and treatment with oral medications have failed. The advantages of this procedure are very impressive:
- no side effects;
But laser removal of fungus has contraindications:
- The presence of acute inflammatory processes.
- Disruption in the functioning of the internal organs.
- Pregnancy and lactation.
- The presence of skin diseases.
- Oncological diseases.
- A tan.
- Chemical peeling.
Preparation for laser irradiation is carried out as follows: steam off the damaged nail and cut as much as possible. Pre-pass tests. The duration of treatment is about 6 procedures.
Features of the treatment of fungus during pregnancy
Treatment of a fungus in the period of carrying a child has its own characteristics. It is necessary to take into account the fact that pregnancy imposes a number of restrictions on the future mother, therefore, only local exposure drugs are used to correct the problem.
Among these drugs stand out ointment "Mikosan", "Lamisil", means in the form of a spray, cream. Well proven drug "Batrafen", which not only fights the fungus, but also provides anti-inflammatory effect. Recommended use of medical varnishes. First of all, the expectant mother should consult a doctor to clarify the diagnosis and obtain recommendations for the upcoming treatment.
If a pregnant woman has suffered from a fungus before, she should take preventive measures in order to avoid exacerbation of the disease during this crucial period.
Opinions and reviews of doctors about home treatment
Toenail fungus is a medical problem and needs to be addressed in conjunction with a qualified professional. It is important to consult a doctor in time for the diagnosis, which also focuses on precautionary measures when visiting public baths and saunas, swimming pools, showers in hotels. These places often become a source of infection.
Self-diagnosis with subsequent self-treatment, according to experts, can exacerbate the situation, especially given that some fungi are resistant to certain drugs. Only the right therapy will ensure a quick recovery and the achievement of a stable result.
Doctors focus the attention of patients who are expecting a child on the mandatory visit to a specialist before the pregnant woman starts using folk remedies and buying drugs at the pharmacy.
Prevention of fungus
To avoid the appearance of nail fungus is possible only with systematic prevention. The following measures will help to achieve good results:
- Wash your feet with soap every day.
- Use antiseptics in the form of sprays or talcum powder.
- Dry wet shoes carefully.
- Periodically process the inner surface of the shoe with chlorhexidine solution.
- If you visit public baths, swimming pools, take with you personal hygiene items, removable shoes.
- Treat the manicure kit periodically with an antiseptic.
Compliance with these simple guidelines will help protect against foot and nail fungus.
Your health is completely dependent on the personal relationship with your body. If you have previously had a fungus or are experiencing unusual symptoms, visit a doctor to confirm the diagnosis or to refute it.
Be careful about the appearance of itchy feet, peeling, changing the structure and color of the nail plates, the appearance of spots or streaks. This will not only identify the disease, but also effectively cope with it. But the advanced stages of the fungus bring not only additional discomfort, but also have a negative impact on the health of the whole organism. In addition, there is an aesthetic side: the affected nails eventually dull, exfoliate, and an unpleasant smell emanates from the legs.